Zakharova describes Blinken’s remarks about the detention of  over one million Ukrainian citizens in Russia as false

MOSCOW, Jul.14, (ST)- The Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova described the accusations of US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken about the detention of more than one million Ukrainian citizens in Russia as false.

“It is difficult to imagine how anyone can be forced to hold another nationality and obtain a passport from a second country,” Zakharova said in a television interview, according to RIA Novosti.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken had previously claimed that Russia forcibly detains up to 1.6 million Ukrainian citizens on its territory and that the Russian authorities confiscate their documents and force them to hold Russian passports.

In another development, Russia is formulating its position on the European Commission’s guidance regarding transit to the Kaliningrad Region presented on Wednesday, Zakharova said.

“They published a decision yesterday, I mean, the European Commission, or, rather, not even a decision but guidance. It lifts restrictions on a certain range of products, goods that are transported [to the Kaliningrad Region] via rail. Actually, we commented on this yesterday, and we still think that this is a display of realism and common sense. We are shaping a position,” she told the Soloviev Live TV channel on Thursday.

The diplomat specified that not only the Foreign Ministry but other agencies as well were dealing with this issue because “this is about the situation in the region, [which is] a federal entity,” and, if needed, a response will be formulated and presented from all the agencies.

“It seems to me that they realized that the situation had already come to a dead end, and it is very dangerous and explosive,” the spokeswoman said.

Compiled by: Basma Qaddour

You might also like
Latest news
Turkey holds Israel responsible for threatening regional security First phase of prisoner exchange deal between the government and the SDF completed Repeated Israeli raids on Syria receive wide condemnation Presidential Decree announcing the ministerial formation of the government of the Syrian Arab Republ... United Nations condemns repeated Israeli escalation in Syria Emmanuel Macron:Trump's tariffs are a shock to international trade Will Syria Be Affected by Trump’s Decision of imposing Tariffs Qatar calls for urgent international action to stop repeated Israeli raids on Syria Prisoner exchange between the Internal Security Directorate in Aleppo and the SDF involves 250 priso... Syrian doctors in Germany launch campaign to perform hundreds of surgeries in six Syrian provinces Delegation of Syrian Jews in Washington meet with members of US Congress, call for lifting sanctions... Jordan and Egypt condemn the latest Israeli aggression on Syria Funeral of the martyrs in the Israeli aggression that targeted Nawa city in Daraa Jordan's King stresses need to support Syria's efforts to maintain its security and stability Trump's new tariffs affect Syria by 41% Fact-Finding Committee on Syrian Coast events: Detainees' testimonies should be documented Nine people martyred, several others wounded due to the Israeli bombardment of Daraa Foreign Ministry strongly condemns the latest wave of Israeli attacks on Syria A ship, carrying 147 heavy vehicles, arrives at Lattakia port to support Syria's transport sector Israeli occupation fires artillery shells on Tal al-Jumu' area in Daraa, makes incursion into Sad al...