Without nuclear deal with Iran, war is not alternative: Gates

Former US secretary of defense Robert Gates says a military confrontation with Iran is not an alternative should nuclear negotiations with the country over its nuclear program fail.

“I don’t think the alternative is war. One alternative is a better deal,” he said in an interview with CBS News aired on Sunday.

“I think that you go back to the sanctions. I think you reinforce the sanctions and you basically say here are the additional things we need for this agreement to work and to be worthwhile,” he added.

The remarks were made after some American officials threatened Tehran with military strikes while nuclear talks are underway.

Last month, Republican Senator Tom Cotton suggested that the United States could attack Iran’s nuclear facilities in “several days.”

Former US ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton also claimed that Israel has speeded up its decision to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities following Russia’s move to sell S-300 missile system to Tehran.

The US and its negotiating partners reached a framework nuclear agreement with Iran in Switzerland on April 2.

Tehran and the P5+1 group – the US, Britain, France, China, Russia and Germany – are currently working to draw up a final accord by the end of June.

On Sunday, a senior advisor to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said military threats against Iran would endanger the ongoing nuclear negotiations.

“If the talks are to go ahead on track, they should be balanced and [held] in an atmosphere of interaction,” Ali Akbar Velayati said.

He added that American officials should stop issuing threats against Iran and do not seek to achieve their objectives through “political hypocrisy.”

The Iranian official noted that Washington’s deeds are in contradiction to its words, saying, “If the threats are added to these contradictions, one of its outcomes would be that they endanger the talks.”

Earlier this month, Ayatollah Khamenei condemned the “shameless” military threats against the Islamic Republic.

Ayatollah Khamenei said Iranians have proved that they can strongly protect the country and stand against the aggressors “like a tight fist,” praising the “integrity” of the Iranian nation in the face of threats.

 

Press TV

M.W

 

 

You might also like
Latest news
Foreign Ministry strongly condemns the latest wave of Israeli attacks on Syria A ship, carrying 147 heavy vehicles, arrives at Lattakia port to support Syria's transport sector Israeli occupation fires artillery shells on Tal al-Jumu' area in Daraa, makes incursion into Sad al... Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam congratulates Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa on Eid Al-Fitr More than 14 Israeli airstrikes target Hama military airport and the Scientific Research Center in D... Anticipated meeting between Presidents al-Sharaa and Trump in Saudi Arabia next month Governor of Hama visits families in displacement camps in Syria's northern region on the occasion of... Syrian faces South Sudan in the Arab Cup qualifiers German Foreign Ministry welcomes the formation of the new Syrian government  Ukraine Welcomes the Formation of the New Syrian Government Israeli occupation kills and injures dozens of Palestinians in Gaza during the past 24 hours Charities in Homs arry out Humanitarian Initiatives for Orphaned Children and Elderly Israeli Occupation detains a citizen from Koya village in Daraa Al-Shibani: Growing international support for new Syrian government will help lift sanctions, suppor... Dujarric: UN Special Envoy for Syria encourages Syrian authorities' efforts towards credible, inclus... Heads of Christian communities in Aleppo congratulate the Governor on Eid al-Fitr Landmine explosion injures 7 people in Aleppo countryside UK Minister for Middle East meets with representatives of Syrian civil society Jordan and Syria have signed 88 contracts in the joint Free Zone since the beginning of 2025 German Channel Documents Israeli Occupation Forces' violations and Incursions into Buffer Zone