UNICEF: Millions of children could miss out on polio and measles immunisations amid COVID-19 pandemic

The coronavirus pandemic could jeopardize vaccination campaigns in the Middle East and North Africa, UNICEF warned Sunday, saying millions of children could miss out on polio and measles immunizations.
 
The U.N. agency said most countries in the region were continuing with routine campaigns, under strict controls to prevent the spread of the virus.But it warned that some vaccination campaigns had been suspended as health workers were diverted to fighting the COVID-19 illness.
 
As a result, one in five children or 10 million children under the age of 5 risk missing their polio vaccination, it said in a statement.Nearly 4.5 million children under the age of 15 risk missing their measles vaccination.
 
Ted Chaiban, UNICEF’s regional director, said it was absolutely critical that every child gets immunized against deadly diseases including polio, measles, diphtheria and hepatitis.
 
He said measures including disinfection, protective clothing and social distancing meant that immunization for children is possible even in the time of COVID-19.
 
Source: Agencies
You might also like
Latest news
First phase of prisoner exchange deal between the government and the SDF completed Repeated Israeli raids on Syria receive wide condemnation Presidential Decree announcing the ministerial formation of the government of the Syrian Arab Republ... United Nations condemns repeated Israeli escalation in Syria Emmanuel Macron:Trump's tariffs are a shock to international trade Will Syria Be Affected by Trump’s Decision of imposing Tariffs Qatar calls for urgent international action to stop repeated Israeli raids on Syria Prisoner exchange between the Internal Security Directorate in Aleppo and the SDF involves 250 priso... Syrian doctors in Germany launch campaign to perform hundreds of surgeries in six Syrian provinces Delegation of Syrian Jews in Washington meet with members of US Congress, call for lifting sanctions... Jordan and Egypt condemn the latest Israeli aggression on Syria Funeral of the martyrs in the Israeli aggression that targeted Nawa city in Daraa Jordan's King stresses need to support Syria's efforts to maintain its security and stability Trump's new tariffs affect Syria by 41% Fact-Finding Committee on Syrian Coast events: Detainees' testimonies should be documented Nine people martyred, several others wounded due to the Israeli bombardment of Daraa Foreign Ministry strongly condemns the latest wave of Israeli attacks on Syria A ship, carrying 147 heavy vehicles, arrives at Lattakia port to support Syria's transport sector Israeli occupation fires artillery shells on Tal al-Jumu' area in Daraa, makes incursion into Sad al... Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam congratulates Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa on Eid Al-Fitr