Tennis: Federer, Serena win Cincinnati titles

Roger Federer won an unprecedented sixth championship in Cincinnati, overcoming one bad set. Serena Williams dominated for her first title,according to the New Zealand Herald.

Federer extended his record of finals perfection in Cincinnati, beating David Ferrer 6-3, 1-6, 6-2 in the Western & Southern Open on Sunday. He’s won all six times he’s reached the tournament’s title match.

 

The latest came against an opponent he has dominated throughout his career. Federer improved to 16-0 against Ferrer, who has won only five sets off him overall.

It ended a bit of a slump for Federer, who finally got the large winner’s trophy after losing his last four Masters title matches. He was the runner-up to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Toronto a week earlier.

“I’ve been bringing home some smaller ones,” Federer said. “I’m happy to get the big one.”

Earlier on Sunday, Williams finally got the one that had always slipped away. And she did it so convincingly that she came away thinking another title could be coming soon.

Williams needed only 62 minutes to beat Ana Ivanovic 6-4, 6-1 for a personal breakthrough. She’d never even reached the finals in Cincinnati until last year, when she fell apart and lost to Victoria Azarenka on a third-set tiebreaker.

No wobbles this time. After getting broken in the first game, she took control with her serve and took advantage of Ivanovic’s sloppy play, improving to 5-0 in finals this year.

“Definitely my best performance of the summer,” she said. “Hopefully not the last.

“This is definitely a level that can take me to the (US Open) title. I still have a lot of work to do. It’s definitely a better level than I’ve played all year, to be honest.”

Ivanovic was treated for a stomach ailment during her nearly 3-hour win over Maria Sharapova in the semifinals Saturday night. She didn’t have much left against Williams, who dominated with her serve.

M.D

You might also like
Latest news
UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Syria: Reports about United Nations evacuating all its s... Army General Command: The Syrian people are facing systematic media and terrorist war aiming at dest... Syrian Army Eliminates large numbers of Terrorists, destroys dozens of their vehicles in northern Ho... Presidency of the Republic: President Al-Assad is assuming his work, national and constitutional dut... Lavrov: Russia, Iran, Turkey agreed on facilitating the stopping of military operations in Syria, st... Iran reaffirms ongoing support for Syrian people, government Russian and Iraqi foreign ministers discuss situation in Syria and its serious impacts on the region... Damascus International Airport operating at full capacity, news about stopping operations is not tru... The Russian "Roads of Glory - Our History" movement condems the terrorist organizations' attack on S... Baghaei: Allegations about the evacuation of the Iranian Embassy in Damascus are not true 27 martyrs in Israeli occupation massacres in Gaza A statement by the General Command of the Army and Armed Forces Joint statement of the foreign ministers of Syria, Iraq and Iran: "Threatening Syria’s security enda... Friends of UN Charter condemn terrorist attacks in Syria Foreign Ministers of Syria, Iraq and Iran hold joint press conference on the situation in Syria Iraqi President reaffirms need to preserve Syria's unity and sovereignty Israeli occupation forces raid Kamal Adwan hospital in Gaza, force medical staff and patients to lea... The Syrian Army eliminates dozens of terrorists in Hama countryside Lavrov: Information indicates the United States, Britain support terrorist groups in northern Syria Fayyadh: Syria’s security cannot be separated from Iraq’s