Russian, EU Leaders to Push for Peace in Ukraine at Minsk Summit

The leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France are to meet for last-ditch talks in the Belarusian capital of Minsk on Wednesday to discuss a way out of the Ukrainian crisis.

MOSCOW – Russian President Vladimir Putin, Ukraine’s Petro Poroshenko, France’s Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are expected to build on a blueprint for a peace treaty in Ukraine that Merkel and Hollande offered during their Thursday trip to Kiev, with added proposals by both Putin and Poroshenko.

The summit is commonly referred to as Normandy-format talks. It dates back to a meeting between the four leaders on the margins of the 70th anniversary of the allies’ landing in Normandy, France.

This time around, the leaders are anticipated to thrash out an agreement aimed at ending violence in eastern Ukraine, after an upsurge in hostilities earlier this year brought the death toll to almost 5,500.

The key topics under discussion will be the withdrawal of heavy artillery, the creation of a demilitarized zone and the start of a “permanent dialogue” between Kiev and militia groups in southeast Ukraine, a diplomatic source close to the talks told RIA Novosti.

Germany, France and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), which mediates the talks, insist that Russia should take responsibility for the peace process.

Militia forces in the breakaway Donetsk and Luhansk regions have vowed to cease fire as soon as the Ukrainian president orders his troops on the ground to lay down arms.

The Normandy summit is not likely to be crowned with a final peace deal. Rather, it is expected that the four leaders will issue a joint statement that may play a decisive role in whether the United States chooses to go ahead with its plan of sending weapons to Kiev.

Germany and France earlier ruled out supplying Ukraine with lethal aid in present circumstances. Over the weekend, Chancellor Merkel stressed that a diplomatic solution was the only viable option, despite all setbacks to the peace process so far.

High-ranking diplomats from Ukraine, Russia, Germany, France and OSCE have been meeting for the last two days to lay the groundwork for Wednesday’s summit in Minsk. They pledged to continue working into Wednesday to get all the proposal documents ready ahead of the crunch talks.

Parties in Contact Group Take a Break to Consider Donbas Peace Proposals

In Minsk, Participants in the meeting of the Contact Group on Ukraine have taken a break in ongoing peace talks to discuss crisis settlement proposals put forward by the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk people’s republics.

We have submitted a draft protocol on Ukrainian crisis settlement to other parties at the talks. They promised to give an answer after a break,” DPR envoy at the talks, Denis Pushilin told RIA Novosti.

“The document includes a wide range of political and military steps, as reality has shown that military measures alone do not produce the desired results,” Pushilin said

The official added that the time frame for resumption of the talks had not been determined.

The Contact Group comprises representatives from Kiev, the self-proclaimed people’s republics of Donetsk and Luhansk (DPR and LPR) in eastern Ukraine, Russia and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE).

During the meeting of the Contact Croup in September 2014 in the Belarusian capital, Minsk, the warring sides managed to reach a ceasefire agreement, however, the situation deteriorated dramatically in the beginning of 2015.

Sputnik

R.S

 

You might also like
Latest news
Press Release Issued by the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic Regarding the Amnesty Internation... President Al-Sharaa receives a message of congratulations from the Director of the Organization for ... The Secretary General of the Arab League warns of the consequences of the Israeli riot in the region Britain calls on Israel to respect the territorial integrity of Syria The U.S. Embassy in Syria praises the civilized role of Syrians living in America Solidarity vigils with the families of the martyrs of Daraa throughout Syria Demonstration in Moadamiyet al Sham A vigil for the people of Khan Sheikhoun commemorating the 8th anniversary of the chemical massacre Al Sheibani :On the anniversary of the chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun (Idlib)we pledge to continu... Al Sheibani welcomes decision of Human Rights Council Civil delegations visit the city of Nawa to offer condolences to the martyrs families and community ... Turkey Warns Against Israeli Actions in Syria, Citing Risks to Regional Stability and Counterterrori... A protest in the city of Sweida condemning the Israeli attacks Minister al-Ali  discusses with Syrian doctors  in Germany ways to support the health sector Eid al-Fitr Initiative " a message of hope and love for children and families” The organization of Islamic Cooperation condemns the ongoing Israeli attacks on Syrian territory The health sector in Gaza is suffering a catastrophic situation Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry condemns Israeli attacks on Syria          Turkey holds Israel responsible for threatening regional security First phase of prisoner exchange deal between the government and the SDF completed