Russia Blames The West After IS Mass Beheading In Libya

Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov has said the West is to blame for events that led to the recent mass beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians in Libya, according to — Joanna Paraszczuk, Radio Free Europe Radio Liberity.

“This, of course, is all a consequence of what has been done by Western partners,” Bogdanov said, describing the events in Libya as ‘”very alarming.”

According to the TASS news agency, Bogdanov made his comments on February 16 in the wake of the release by Islamic State group militants in Libya of a video showing the apparent execution-style beheading of a group of Egyptian Coptic Christians.

The victims had been taken hostage in the Libyan city of Surt some weeks ago. The Islamic State group identified the 21 Egyptians as “people of the cross, the followers of the hostile Egyptian church.”

Since the post-September 11 campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, Russia has frequently criticized the United States and the West for interventions in the Middle East, including in Libya and Iraq. More recently, Moscow has vehemently opposed the U.S.-led anti-Islamic State coalition in Syria, on the grounds that Washington and its allies have not requested permission from Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad for strikes on Syrian soil.

Regarding the rise of the Islamic State group in Libya and the mass beheadings of Egyptian Christians, Bogdanov said that the international community should not address “the question of who bears historical guilt.”

Instead, Bogdanov called on the international community to “properly analyze the situation and draw conclusions about what happened, in order to work more closely, cohesively and efficiently.”

‘Like A Cancer’

The Deputy Foreign Minister reiterated the now-familiar refrain that the United States and its Western allies are exhibiting double standards in the Middle East with regard to which groups they support.

“There needs to be a rejection of the double standards, where on the one hand the Islamists are good and on the other they are not very good. In reality, these are the same people,” Bogdanov said. Moscow has used this argument to claim that the United States is acting hypocritically by supporting some mainstream Free Syrian Army groups in Syria while carrying out air strikes against the Islamic State group. Russia’s position has been to assert that all armed groups in Syria are extremist terror groups.

Boganov warned of the growing threat from the Islamic State group, saying that the militants do not recognize state borders.

The extremist Sunni group is “like a cancer, metastasizing, growing in all directions,” Bogdanov said, adding that the Islamic State threat “directly affects us too, and affects our national security interests and those of our friends in the region.”

The Russian Deputy Foreign Minister said that Moscow was willing to assist the international community and regional countries — including Egypt — in the “fight against terrorism,” noting that Russia has contacts with Egypt and Libya, particularly with the Libyan government led by the current Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thani, which Bogdanov said Moscow “considers to be legitimate.”

“We have experience in fighting terrorism, in our country there have been painful manifestations of terrorism. We understand the danger, it is a universal threat,” Boganov said.

Bogdanov’s comments regarding Moscow’s willingness to provide assistance to Egypt and Libya in “fighting terrorism” come after a two-day visit to Egypt by Russian President Vladimir Putin last week, during which the two countries signed agreements to reinforce military and economic ties.

M. Al-Ibrahim

You might also like
Latest news
Foreign Ministry strongly condemns the latest wave of Israeli attacks on Syria A ship, carrying 147 heavy vehicles, arrives at Lattakia port to support Syria's transport sector Israeli occupation fires artillery shells on Tal al-Jumu' area in Daraa, makes incursion into Sad al... Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam congratulates Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa on Eid Al-Fitr More than 14 Israeli airstrikes target Hama military airport and the Scientific Research Center in D... Anticipated meeting between Presidents al-Sharaa and Trump in Saudi Arabia next month Governor of Hama visits families in displacement camps in Syria's northern region on the occasion of... Syrian faces South Sudan in the Arab Cup qualifiers German Foreign Ministry welcomes the formation of the new Syrian government  Ukraine Welcomes the Formation of the New Syrian Government Israeli occupation kills and injures dozens of Palestinians in Gaza during the past 24 hours Charities in Homs arry out Humanitarian Initiatives for Orphaned Children and Elderly Israeli Occupation detains a citizen from Koya village in Daraa Al-Shibani: Growing international support for new Syrian government will help lift sanctions, suppor... Dujarric: UN Special Envoy for Syria encourages Syrian authorities' efforts towards credible, inclus... Heads of Christian communities in Aleppo congratulate the Governor on Eid al-Fitr Landmine explosion injures 7 people in Aleppo countryside UK Minister for Middle East meets with representatives of Syrian civil society Jordan and Syria have signed 88 contracts in the joint Free Zone since the beginning of 2025 German Channel Documents Israeli Occupation Forces' violations and Incursions into Buffer Zone