Lost Mars lander fell 2-4 km, destroyed on impact – NASA images

Schiaparelli, the landing craft from the European Space Agency’s Exomars probe, which went missing earlier this week near the surface of Mars, has apparently been destroyed, according to new data.

The ESA craft fell to the Mars surface from a height of 2 to 4 kilometers (1.2 to 2.5 miles), the agency said. The disc-shaped spacecraft, which weighed 577 kilos (1,272 lb) was destroyed on impact, according to RT.

With the “new markings on the surface of the Red Planet” captured by NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter believed to be the Schiaparelli EDM (Entry, Descent and Landing Demonstrator Module), the European agency is now analyzing data recorded by the lander’s mothership, the Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO), to understand what went wrong.

Colliding with the planet’s surface at a speed greater than 300 km/h (186 mph), the lander could have also exploded on impact, the ESA said, explaining that its “thruster propellant tanks were likely still full.”

Remnants of what is believed to be the lander’s large, bright parachute, as well as a “fuzzy dark patch” which might be the destroyed Schiaparelli module itself, could be seen on NASA images taken Thursday.

The two “features” were absent from the Mars surface on earlier images taken by the same camera.

The Schiaparelli lander contained only basic equipment. Its TGO mothership, which is designed to search for “evidence of gases of possible biological importance,” is still safely in orbit.

 

H.Z

 

You might also like
Latest news
Britain calls on Israel to respect the territorial integrity of Syria The U.S. Embassy in Syria praises the civilized role of Syrians living in America Solidarity vigils with the families of the martyrs of Daraa throughout Syria Demonstration in Moadamiyet al Sham A vigil for the people of Khan Sheikhoun commemorating the 8th anniversary of the chemical massacre Al Sheibani :On the anniversary of the chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun (Idlib)we pledge to continu... Al Sheibani welcomes decision of Human Rights Council Civil delegations visit the city of Nawa to offer condolences to the martyrs families and community ... Turkey Warns Against Israeli Actions in Syria, Citing Risks to Regional Stability and Counterterrori... A protest in the city of Sweida condemning the Israeli attacks Minister al-Ali  discusses with Syrian doctors  in Germany ways to support the health sector Eid al-Fitr Initiative " a message of hope and love for children and families” The organization of Islamic Cooperation condemns the ongoing Israeli attacks on Syrian territory The health sector in Gaza is suffering a catastrophic situation Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry condemns Israeli attacks on Syria          Turkey holds Israel responsible for threatening regional security First phase of prisoner exchange deal between the government and the SDF completed Repeated Israeli raids on Syria receive wide condemnation Presidential Decree announcing the ministerial formation of the government of the Syrian Arab Republ... United Nations condemns repeated Israeli escalation in Syria