Lavrov Appeals For Early Calling Of Ukraine Contact Group

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, during a conversation with the foreign ministers of Germany and France, stressed the necessity to prevent the breach of arrangements for the contact group on Ukraine to be called early, reported RIA Novosti on Sunday night on the Russian Foreign Ministry’s Facebook page.

Telephone talks between Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Germany Frank-Walter Steinmeier and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius took place on July 5.

“During the discussions, the Russian side pointed out the necessity to avoid breaching arrangements, concerning the Berlin meeting of the foreign ministers of Russia, Germany, France and Ukraine of July, 2 for the early convocation of a contact group, aimed at agreeing a termless, sustainable ceasefire between Kiev and South-East Ukraine ” the Foreign Ministry said.

“This task was emphasized as even more urgent, considering the rapid deterioration of the situation in Ukraine after the build-up of military operations by Ukrainian forces, proliferating civilian casualties and destruction of civilian infrastructure. The fact that the fighting is accompanied by the shelling of Russian territory provokes deep concern and makes obstacles for refugees seeking to leave the conflict zone,” said Foreign Ministry.

“Steinmeier and Fabius agreed that the contact group should urgently resume its work, and expressed their readiness to use their capabilities to assist the definition of a generally acceptable location of the meeting between the representatives of Ukrainian authorities and self-defense leaders, mediated by Russia and the OSCE,” – said in a statement.

Earlier, Steinmeier called for implementing the agreements on the truce in Ukraine. “One cannot waste time,” he said. President Vladimir Putin said it was important to fulfil the statement’s provision on the need for a long-term ceasefire contained in the statement and on holding a next meeting of Contact Group on Ukraine no later than on July 5.

 On July 2, the Russian, German, French and Ukrainian foreign ministers agreed a declaration on the resolution of the conflict in Ukraine’s southeast. The declaration calls for establishing lasting truce in Ukraine and convening the Contact Group for Ukraine as soon as possible.

After the quadripartite talks Steinmeier said, “I understood that all participants realised what responsibility we all carry to prevent of a greater danger in Ukraine.” “I think we will be able to use joint efforts to move aside from the escalation of the conflict that has taken place in the past days,” he said.

In the telephone talk with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Francois Hollande on June 26, Russian

Since mid-April, Kiev has been conducting a military operation against federalization supporters and militias in Ukraine’s war-torn Southeast, which involves armored vehicles, heavy artillery and attack aviation and has resulted in hundreds of deaths, destruction of buildings and forced tens of thousands to flee Ukraine to Russia.

Fierce military attacks of the pro-Kiev forces on the country’s southeastern regions resumed after President Petro Poroshenko, who had been elected in late May and taken office on June 7, decided to end the 10-day ceasefire in the Southeast on Monday. When the truce was in place, there were reports that it was repeatedly violated by Kiev, Itar-Tass reports.

Also Steinmeier has called for implementing the agreements on truce in Ukraine. “The Contact Group meeting is the key element for ensuring further progress,” he said.

 On July 2, the Russian, German, French and Ukrainian foreign ministers agreed on a declaration on the resolution of the conflict in Ukraine’s south-east. The declaration calls for establishing lasting truce in Ukraine and convening the Contact Group for Ukraine as soon as possible. After the four-party talks Steinmeier said, “I understood that all participants realized what responsibility we all carry to prevent a greater danger in Ukraine.”

“I think we will be able to use joint efforts to move aside from the escalation of the conflict that has taken place in the past days,” he said.

Voice Of Russia

R.S

You might also like
Latest news
UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Syria: Reports about United Nations evacuating all its s... Army General Command: The Syrian people are facing systematic media and terrorist war aiming at dest... Syrian Army Eliminates large numbers of Terrorists, destroys dozens of their vehicles in northern Ho... Presidency of the Republic: President Al-Assad is assuming his work, national and constitutional dut... Lavrov: Russia, Iran, Turkey agreed on facilitating the stopping of military operations in Syria, st... Iran reaffirms ongoing support for Syrian people, government Russian and Iraqi foreign ministers discuss situation in Syria and its serious impacts on the region... Damascus International Airport operating at full capacity, news about stopping operations is not tru... The Russian "Roads of Glory - Our History" movement condems the terrorist organizations' attack on S... Baghaei: Allegations about the evacuation of the Iranian Embassy in Damascus are not true 27 martyrs in Israeli occupation massacres in Gaza A statement by the General Command of the Army and Armed Forces Joint statement of the foreign ministers of Syria, Iraq and Iran: "Threatening Syria’s security enda... Friends of UN Charter condemn terrorist attacks in Syria Foreign Ministers of Syria, Iraq and Iran hold joint press conference on the situation in Syria Iraqi President reaffirms need to preserve Syria's unity and sovereignty Israeli occupation forces raid Kamal Adwan hospital in Gaza, force medical staff and patients to lea... The Syrian Army eliminates dozens of terrorists in Hama countryside Lavrov: Information indicates the United States, Britain support terrorist groups in northern Syria Fayyadh: Syria’s security cannot be separated from Iraq’s