Hungary affirms its commitment to the gas deals it signed with Russia

Spokesman of the Hungarian government Zoltán Kovács on Saturday announced that his country is committed to gas deals it has signed with Russia, pointing out that paying the price of Russian gas in ruble won’t violate the European sanctions on Moscow.

In an interview with CNN network, Kovács said “The European Union so far has no common procurement of gas and oil for European countries.” Therefore, Hungary and Russia have contracts to acquire this and the currency we pay in is just a technical aspect.”

He added that the Hungarian economy and people are 85% dependent on Russian gas.

“We did not create this situation, we inherited it and there is no other solution,”, Kovács pointed out.

 The Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto also said that Hungary can pay for Russian natural gas without violating European Union sanctions against Russia. His remarks came in response to a warning from European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

Earlier this week, the Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said that Hungary was ready to pay for Russian gas in rubles if needed, but Von der Leyen said doing so would be in breach of sanctions imposed on Moscow over its military operation in Ukraine.

Hamda Mustafa

You might also like
Latest news
British Mission in Syria posted on platform “X” on the anniversary of the chemical attack on the cit... Press Release Issued by the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic Regarding the Amnesty Internation... President Al-Sharaa receives a message of congratulations from the Director of the Organization for ... The Secretary General of the Arab League warns of the consequences of the Israeli riot in the region Britain calls on Israel to respect the territorial integrity of Syria The U.S. Embassy in Syria praises the civilized role of Syrians living in America Solidarity vigils with the families of the martyrs of Daraa throughout Syria Demonstration in Moadamiyet al Sham A vigil for the people of Khan Sheikhoun commemorating the 8th anniversary of the chemical massacre Al Sheibani :On the anniversary of the chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun (Idlib)we pledge to continu... Al Sheibani welcomes decision of Human Rights Council Civil delegations visit the city of Nawa to offer condolences to the martyrs families and community ... Turkey Warns Against Israeli Actions in Syria, Citing Risks to Regional Stability and Counterterrori... A protest in the city of Sweida condemning the Israeli attacks Minister al-Ali  discusses with Syrian doctors  in Germany ways to support the health sector Eid al-Fitr Initiative " a message of hope and love for children and families” The organization of Islamic Cooperation condemns the ongoing Israeli attacks on Syrian territory The health sector in Gaza is suffering a catastrophic situation Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry condemns Israeli attacks on Syria          Turkey holds Israel responsible for threatening regional security