Foreign Ministry: “Moderate Opposition” Groups Involved in Terrorist Attacks in Aleppo

DAMASCUS– Foreign and Expatriates Ministry sent on Sunday letters to the UN Secretary General and Head of the Security Council complaining about the continued terrorist attacks targeting safe neighborhoods in Aleppo city since Friday, according to SANA.

In the letters, the Ministry affirmed that armed groups classified by some Western countries as “moderate opposition” are involved, along with the internationally listed Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist organization, in Aleppo attacks, which included shelling of hundreds of rockets, mortars and gas cylinder bombs that indiscriminately target neighborhoods and have so far claimed the lives of 110 civilians, including 40 children, and left hundreds of others injured.

 These attacks, the letters said, are “part of the series of the systematic terrorist acts plotted and prepared by the Turkish regime and perpetrated by the ‘moderate opposition’ groups in cooperation and coordination with Jabhat al-Nusra and its affiliates such as Jaish al-Islam, Ahrar al-Sham and Jaish al-Fatah among others.”

This is happening in “a blatant attempts by the regime of Erdogan and the other regimes supporting and sponsoring terrorism in Riyadh and Doha to undermine the efforts seeking to stop the bloodshed and to foil the Geneva talks and the truce arrangements,” the letters added.

The Foreign and Expatriates Ministry dismissed the rejection of the Security Council representatives of the US, France, Britain and Ukraine to place “Jaish al-Islam” and “Ahrar al-Sham” on the Council’s list of terrorist groups and entities.

This refusal only stresses that these countries and others continue to use double standards regarding the fight against terrorism and are not serious about this fight, said the Ministry, adding that the real cause allowing these massacres in Aleppo and the breaches of the cessation of hostilities agreement to happen lies in turning blind eyes to the Turkish regime’s opening of its border to let thousands of terrorists, all types of weapons and even some Turkish soldiers, into northern Aleppo.

It conveyed in its letters Syria’s demand for vehement and immediate Security Council condemnation of the terrorist organizations’ crimes.

The Council, the letters said, is demanded to assume its responsibilities in preserving international peace and security through taking immediate deterrent and punitive measures against the countries and regimes supporting terrorism, mainly those of Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Qatar, to stop those from going on with supporting terrorism and compel them to abide by the relevant Security Council resolutions 2170, 2178, 2199 and 2253.

The Foreign Ministry also stressed in its letters that the Syrian government will not be dissuaded by the terrorist attacks to continue its duty of fighting terrorism and working for a political solution to the crisis through a Syrian–led dialogue.

You might also like
Latest news
British Mission in Syria posted on platform “X” on the anniversary of the chemical attack on the cit... Press Release Issued by the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic Regarding the Amnesty Internation... President Al-Sharaa receives a message of congratulations from the Director of the Organization for ... The Secretary General of the Arab League warns of the consequences of the Israeli riot in the region Britain calls on Israel to respect the territorial integrity of Syria The U.S. Embassy in Syria praises the civilized role of Syrians living in America Solidarity vigils with the families of the martyrs of Daraa throughout Syria Demonstration in Moadamiyet al Sham A vigil for the people of Khan Sheikhoun commemorating the 8th anniversary of the chemical massacre Al Sheibani :On the anniversary of the chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun (Idlib)we pledge to continu... Al Sheibani welcomes decision of Human Rights Council Civil delegations visit the city of Nawa to offer condolences to the martyrs families and community ... Turkey Warns Against Israeli Actions in Syria, Citing Risks to Regional Stability and Counterterrori... A protest in the city of Sweida condemning the Israeli attacks Minister al-Ali  discusses with Syrian doctors  in Germany ways to support the health sector Eid al-Fitr Initiative " a message of hope and love for children and families” The organization of Islamic Cooperation condemns the ongoing Israeli attacks on Syrian territory The health sector in Gaza is suffering a catastrophic situation Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry condemns Israeli attacks on Syria          Turkey holds Israel responsible for threatening regional security