EU Rejects Iran’s 60-Day Deadline on Nuclear Deal, Says will Remain Committed for Now

The European Union rejects a 60-day deadline set by Tehran for the remaining signatories to a 2015 nuclear deal to address Iran’s legal rights and protect its interests against US sanctions, saying, however, that the bloc will stay committed to the agreement for now.

In a joint statement released on Thursday, EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini and the foreign ministers of France, Germany and the UK expressed “great concern” about Iran’s recent suspension of some of its commitments under the accord – officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) – in reciprocation for Washington’s withdrawal last year.

Iran announced on Wednesday that it would stop exporting excess uranium and heavy water, setting a 60-day deadline for the five remaining parties to the deal – France, Germany, the UK, China and Russia – to take practical measures towards ensuring Iran’s interests in the face of the American sanctions that were re-imposed on Iran after Washington’s exit.

The top European diplomats said, “We reject any ultimatums and we will assess Iran’s compliance on the basis of Iran’s performance regarding its nuclear-related commitments under the JCPOA and the NPT (Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons). In this respect, we recall the key role of IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) monitoring and verification of the implementation by Iran of its nuclear-related commitments.”

In the statement, the Europeans further expressed regret about the re-imposition of sanctions against Tehran and said they would stay fully committed to “the preservation and full implementation” of the JCPOA, which they described as “a key achievement of the global nuclear non-proliferation architecture, which is in the security interest of all.”

The top diplomats further stressed their determination to pursue efforts to enable the continuation of legitimate trade with Iran, including through a non-dollar direct payment channel, known as INSTEX.

“We strongly urge Iran to continue to implement its commitments under the JCPOA in full as it has done until now and to refrain from any escalatory steps,” they said.

‘Iran seeks to bring deal back on track’

Tehran also said the measures it has adopted in response to Washington’s withdrawal do not violate the deal and are meant to restore the balance between its rights and commitments under Articles 26 and 36 of the JCPOA.

On Thursday, Behrouz Kamalvandi, the spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), emphasized that Article 26 of the JCPOA reserves Iran’s right to stop some of its commitments “totally and partially” if the opposite side fails to uphold its end of the bargain.

“Iran has taken the measure in response to America’s withdrawal from the JCPOA and the re-imposition of sanctions,” he said.

Kamalvandi also noted that Iran’s move is well-calculated, adding, “Certainly, our goal is to bring the JCPOA back on track and strengthen it.”

PRESS T.V

R.S

You might also like
Latest news
Qatar calls for urgent international action to stop repeated Israeli raids on Syria Prisoner exchange between the Internal Security Directorate in Aleppo and the SDF involves 250 priso... Syrian doctors in Germany launch campaign to perform hundreds of surgeries in six Syrian provinces Delegation of Syrian Jews in Washington meet with members of US Congress, call for lifting sanctions... Jordan and Egypt condemn the latest Israeli aggression on Syria Funeral of the martyrs in the Israeli aggression that targeted Nawa city in Daraa Jordan's King stresses need to support Syria's efforts to maintain its security and stability Trump's new tariffs affect Syria by 41% Fact-Finding Committee on Syrian Coast events: Detainees' testimonies should be documented Nine people martyred, several others wounded due to the Israeli bombardment of Daraa Foreign Ministry strongly condemns the latest wave of Israeli attacks on Syria A ship, carrying 147 heavy vehicles, arrives at Lattakia port to support Syria's transport sector Israeli occupation fires artillery shells on Tal al-Jumu' area in Daraa, makes incursion into Sad al... Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam congratulates Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa on Eid Al-Fitr More than 14 Israeli airstrikes target Hama military airport and the Scientific Research Center in D... Anticipated meeting between Presidents al-Sharaa and Trump in Saudi Arabia next month Governor of Hama visits families in displacement camps in Syria's northern region on the occasion of... Syrian faces South Sudan in the Arab Cup qualifiers German Foreign Ministry welcomes the formation of the new Syrian government  Ukraine Welcomes the Formation of the New Syrian Government