China to launch manned space mission Shenzhou 11 on Monday

China launches a two-man space mission, Shenzhou 11, on Monday, officials with the space program said, taking the country closer to its ambition of setting up a permanent manned space station by 2022.

President Xi Jinping has called for China to establish itself as a space power, and it has tested anti-satellite missiles, in addition to its civilian aims, according to Reuters.

China says its space program is for peaceful purposes, but the U.S. Defense Department has highlighted its increasing capabilities, saying it was pursuing activities aimed to prevent adversaries from using space-based assets in a crisis.

After Monday’s launch at 7:30 a.m. (2330 GMT) in the remote northwestern province of Gansu, the astronauts will dock with the Tiangong 2 space laboratory, where they will spend about a month.

“This mission is characterized by its longer duration and more tests,” Chen Dong, the junior astronaut on the mission, told reporters in a televised news conference. “We will focus on improving our ability to handle emergencies in orbit, medical first aid, mutual rescue capabilities and space experiments.”

Shenzhou 11 will be the third space mission for Jing Haipeng, who will command the mission and pass his 50th birthday in space.

The spacecraft, whose name translates as “Divine Vessel”, will also carry three experiments designed by Hong Kong middle school students and selected in a science competition, including one that will take silk worms into space.

China launched its second experimental space lab Tiangong 2, or “Heavenly Palace 2”, last month.

 

 H.Z

 

You might also like
Latest news
Britain calls on Israel to respect the territorial integrity of Syria The U.S. Embassy in Syria praises the civilized role of Syrians living in America Solidarity vigils with the families of the martyrs of Daraa throughout Syria Demonstration in Moadamiyet al Sham A vigil for the people of Khan Sheikhoun commemorating the 8th anniversary of the chemical massacre Al Sheibani :On the anniversary of the chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun (Idlib)we pledge to continu... Al Sheibani welcomes decision of Human Rights Council Civil delegations visit the city of Nawa to offer condolences to the martyrs families and community ... Turkey Warns Against Israeli Actions in Syria, Citing Risks to Regional Stability and Counterterrori... A protest in the city of Sweida condemning the Israeli attacks Minister al-Ali  discusses with Syrian doctors  in Germany ways to support the health sector Eid al-Fitr Initiative " a message of hope and love for children and families” The organization of Islamic Cooperation condemns the ongoing Israeli attacks on Syrian territory The health sector in Gaza is suffering a catastrophic situation Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry condemns Israeli attacks on Syria          Turkey holds Israel responsible for threatening regional security First phase of prisoner exchange deal between the government and the SDF completed Repeated Israeli raids on Syria receive wide condemnation Presidential Decree announcing the ministerial formation of the government of the Syrian Arab Republ... United Nations condemns repeated Israeli escalation in Syria