Chechen leader Kadyrov laughs off US list rumours

According to RIA Novosti,Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov has laughed off speculation that he had been included in the classified section of Washington’s list of Russian officials facing visa and financial sanctions.

The US released the names of 18 Russians to be slapped with visa bans and the freezing of their assets in US banks under the Magnitsky Act, which introduces the sanctions against Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses.

“I’ve just found out from journalists that I might have been placed on some Magnitsky List,” Kadyrov said.

“As soon as I heard this, I returned my ticket to the United States.”

Kadyrov, a former militant who has been accused of massive human rights violations, also joked he had “not slept” since hearing the news.

Kadyrov, the leader of Russia’s Chechen republic since 2007, also said he had no assets in the US and had no intention anyway of travelling to the US, irrespective of whether he was on the Magnitsky List.

No senior federal Russian officials were included in the list published Friday on the website of the US Treasury Department, but a senior US State Department official told reporters that there is a separate classified blacklist of Russians as allowed by the Magnitsky Act.

On Saturday, Russia published its own retaliatory list of US officials banned from entering Russia.

Like the US list, the Russian list comprises 18 names. Four are listed as having been connected with the US’ infamous Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba, which has seen numerous allegations of abuse and torture by prisoners and rights groups.

The rest of the US officials on the list are mostly described as prosecutors and special agents, and are accused of having violated the rights of Russians abroad.

The Russian list also has a classified section, according to a statement published on the website of the ruling United Russia party.

M.D

You might also like
Latest news
Al Sheibani welcomes decision of Human Rights Council Civil delegations visit the city of Nawa to offer condolences to the martyrs families and community ... Turkey Warns Against Israeli Actions in Syria, Citing Risks to Regional Stability and Counterterrori... A protest in the city of Sweida condemning the Israeli attacks Minister al-Ali  discusses with Syrian doctors  in Germany ways to support the health sector Eid al-Fitr Initiative " a message of hope and love for children and families” The organization of Islamic Cooperation condemns the ongoing Israeli attacks on Syrian territory The health sector in Gaza is suffering a catastrophic situation Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry condemns Israeli attacks on Syria          Turkey holds Israel responsible for threatening regional security First phase of prisoner exchange deal between the government and the SDF completed Repeated Israeli raids on Syria receive wide condemnation Presidential Decree announcing the ministerial formation of the government of the Syrian Arab Republ... United Nations condemns repeated Israeli escalation in Syria Emmanuel Macron:Trump's tariffs are a shock to international trade Will Syria Be Affected by Trump’s Decision of imposing Tariffs Qatar calls for urgent international action to stop repeated Israeli raids on Syria Prisoner exchange between the Internal Security Directorate in Aleppo and the SDF involves 250 priso... Syrian doctors in Germany launch campaign to perform hundreds of surgeries in six Syrian provinces Delegation of Syrian Jews in Washington meet with members of US Congress, call for lifting sanctions...