Brazil’s World Cup training starts amid protests

Brazil’s national team has started its World Cup preparations amid protests in Rio de Janeiro.

A bus carrying the players to a hilltop training camp was surrounded by striking teachers chanting slogans against the tournament.

Later, upon arriving at the Granja Comary training base, players were greeted by fans – and more protesters, according to BBC.

Thousands of people have protested against the cost of staging the tournament beginning next month.

 

It is day one at Granja Comary, Brazil squad’s favourite training ground since 1987. Here, they have trained for five World Cups – of which they won two.

In hilly Teresopolis, the scenery is idyllic. The portico at its entrance welcomes the footballers, and flags of World Cup countries fly along the road.

But the squad faced some chaos upon leaving Rio. Riot police had to push crowds out of the way to make way for the squad’s bus.

As the tournament approaches, Brazil’s divisions are as visible as ever, with some windows displaying country flags – others, anti-World Cup slogans.

Monday’s demonstrations started outside Rio’s Linx Hotel, where 22 players met their coach, Luiz Felipe Scolari, for the start of their preparations.

Before they left the hotel, it was surrounded by more than 100 protesters, who attached stickers to their bus.

“There will be no World Cup, there will be a strike,” the crowd chanted.

Rio’s school teachers have been on strike since 12 May, demanding better pay and working conditions.

About an hour later, the bus arrived at the Granja Comary in the hilltop city of Teresopolis.

Hundreds of people were expecting them, among more than 100 international journalists and Brazilians who went to cheer the players or to continue the teachers’ protests.

Riot police holds protester in Rio Riot police intervened as the bus tried to make its way to the Granja Comary training camp

Brazilian fans cheering in Teresopolis Fans greeted their national team in their colours and waved flags as the bus drove past

Meanwhile, Brazil’s footballing legend and Fifa World Cup ambassador Ronaldo has blamed the government for delays in infrastructure projects for the tournament.

“This is what people should understand: it’s down to governments. The governments they have elected. It’s nothing to do with football or the World Cup,” he told Brazilian newspaper Valor.

Brazil will play the opening match against Croatia in Sao Paulo on 12 June.

Real Madrid’s left-back Marcelo has been allowed an extra day’s rest following his team’s Champions League victory over Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

Brazil’s striker Fred, from Rio-based Fluminense, was among the first players to arrive at the hotel.

Shortly before the arrival of the striking teachers, he stressed the importance of the supporters for Brazil’s campaign.

“With this union between people and the national team, we have everything to play a great tournament and win the title,” Fred told reporters.

Last year, more than a million people took to the street in dozens of Brazilian cities over poor public services, corruption and the high cost of the World Cup.

Compiled by: M. D

You might also like
Latest news
Foreign Ministry strongly condemns the latest wave of Israeli attacks on Syria A ship, carrying 147 heavy vehicles, arrives at Lattakia port to support Syria's transport sector Israeli occupation fires artillery shells on Tal al-Jumu' area in Daraa, makes incursion into Sad al... Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam congratulates Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa on Eid Al-Fitr More than 14 Israeli airstrikes target Hama military airport and the Scientific Research Center in D... Anticipated meeting between Presidents al-Sharaa and Trump in Saudi Arabia next month Governor of Hama visits families in displacement camps in Syria's northern region on the occasion of... Syrian faces South Sudan in the Arab Cup qualifiers German Foreign Ministry welcomes the formation of the new Syrian government  Ukraine Welcomes the Formation of the New Syrian Government Israeli occupation kills and injures dozens of Palestinians in Gaza during the past 24 hours Charities in Homs arry out Humanitarian Initiatives for Orphaned Children and Elderly Israeli Occupation detains a citizen from Koya village in Daraa Al-Shibani: Growing international support for new Syrian government will help lift sanctions, suppor... Dujarric: UN Special Envoy for Syria encourages Syrian authorities' efforts towards credible, inclus... Heads of Christian communities in Aleppo congratulate the Governor on Eid al-Fitr Landmine explosion injures 7 people in Aleppo countryside UK Minister for Middle East meets with representatives of Syrian civil society Jordan and Syria have signed 88 contracts in the joint Free Zone since the beginning of 2025 German Channel Documents Israeli Occupation Forces' violations and Incursions into Buffer Zone