AFC Cup: Al Wahda hold Iraqi Al Shorta 0-0

Al-Wahda, the Damascus-based club, were held to a  goalless draw with Iraq champions Al Shorta on Tuesday in the AFC Cup  Group C.

“I’m disappointed for the result as we failed to advance to the knockout stage of the competition,” said Al Shorta coach Lorival dos Santos.

“We couldn’t win today because of the pressure that was on the players and they lacked concentration tonight and missed several chances.

“I told the players that we should be playing with an attacking formation and take advantage of our chances but this didn’t happen. Our opponents played with a defensive performance and we couldn’t score from the opportunities that we created.”

Al Shorta enjoyed the majority of possession in the first half, but the Iraq champions struggled to breakdown a deep lying Al Wahda defence.

The best chance of the opening 45 minutes fell to Al Shorta’s Dhurgham Ismaeil after 27 minutes, but after beating the Al Wahda offside trap, he also beat goalkeeper Adnan Al Hafez only for defender Obaida Al Sakka to clear the ball of the goalline.

The Iraqi side continued to dominate in the second half but Al Wahda stood firm and Al Shorta’s frustrations boiled over in stoppage time as Hamdi Al Massri was sent-off after lashing out at Al Sakka, according to the AFC correspondent.

“Our players had a good performance today in spite of the fact that we had already been eliminated from the competition before the match. We put on a good display and we stood firm in front of our opponents who had better players and were more prepared for the match than us,” said Al Wahda coach Raafat Mohammad.

“Despite the big difference between the two sides, we played a good game and we could have scored from the chances that we created but we didn’t have good composure. I believe that we finished the competition well and hopefully the experience that we got will be good for us.”

M.Daoud

You might also like
Latest news
UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Syria: Reports about United Nations evacuating all its s... Army General Command: The Syrian people are facing systematic media and terrorist war aiming at dest... Syrian Army Eliminates large numbers of Terrorists, destroys dozens of their vehicles in northern Ho... Presidency of the Republic: President Al-Assad is assuming his work, national and constitutional dut... Lavrov: Russia, Iran, Turkey agreed on facilitating the stopping of military operations in Syria, st... Iran reaffirms ongoing support for Syrian people, government Russian and Iraqi foreign ministers discuss situation in Syria and its serious impacts on the region... Damascus International Airport operating at full capacity, news about stopping operations is not tru... The Russian "Roads of Glory - Our History" movement condems the terrorist organizations' attack on S... Baghaei: Allegations about the evacuation of the Iranian Embassy in Damascus are not true 27 martyrs in Israeli occupation massacres in Gaza A statement by the General Command of the Army and Armed Forces Joint statement of the foreign ministers of Syria, Iraq and Iran: "Threatening Syria’s security enda... Friends of UN Charter condemn terrorist attacks in Syria Foreign Ministers of Syria, Iraq and Iran hold joint press conference on the situation in Syria Iraqi President reaffirms need to preserve Syria's unity and sovereignty Israeli occupation forces raid Kamal Adwan hospital in Gaza, force medical staff and patients to lea... The Syrian Army eliminates dozens of terrorists in Hama countryside Lavrov: Information indicates the United States, Britain support terrorist groups in northern Syria Fayyadh: Syria’s security cannot be separated from Iraq’s