Breaking News

Sources: S. Arabia Training Yemeni Citizens for War in Syria

TEHRAN-Informed tribal sources in Yemen revealed that Riyadh is spending huge sums of money to coax the Yemeni citizens residing in Saudi Arabia into the proxy war in Syria.

According to a report by the Yemeni al-Jomhour newspaper, a number of Yemeni nationals who have left Saudi Arabia said that the Saudi officers have given them tempting proposals to fight for "rebels" in Syria.

They also said that Riyadh has established several military bases in the country to recruit Yemeni and African nationals in different parts of Saudi Arabia, adding that scores of such people are already being trained in such bases.

Earlier reports also said that the "rebel groups" operating inside Syria have received new batch of heavy weapons sent by the United States' key Gulf ally, Saudi Arabia.

M.D

Over 200 wounded in South Sudan clashes - UN

 

At least 200 people have been wounded in a week of bitter fighting in South Sudan's Jonglei state, the top United Nations humanitarian official in the country said Sunday.

"Some 200 casualties have arrived in Manyabol", a remote village in the troubled eastern state of Jonglei, where militia gunmen from rival ethnic groups have been battling, UN humanitarian coordinator for South Sudan Tony Lanzer said in a statement ,according to Voice of Russia, AFP.

Manyabol is only one settlement in a vast region affected by the fighting, raising concerns that the number injured or killed elsewhere in the impoverished state could be far higher.

No figures were given on any possible deaths, but Lanzer called on leaders "urgently to halt the cycle of violence that is leading to senseless loss of life and suffering amongst civilians."

The UN were airlifting the most critically injured to Jonglei's state capital Bor for medical treatment, where Doctors Without Borders (MSF - Medecins Sans Frontieres) are supporting the basic hospital.

"We've seen gunshot wounds and leg fractures," MSF spokesman Martin Searle told AFP, adding that they had received 22 patients so far. "We're expecting more."

Tit-for-tat cattle raids and reprisal killings are common in this grossly under-developed state, awash with guns left over from almost two decades of civil war.

But the latest upsurge in fighting that began around a week ago is of a different scale and nature.

Local government officials have reported columns of hundreds - if not thousands - of gunmen in a tribal militia fighting their way towards the heartland of a rival community.

Lou Nuer gunmen from northern Jonglei are heading south towards Pibor, an area of their rivals, the Murle.

 

R.S

Yemen generator blast flattens home, kills 14

A generator exploded in a village home in Yemen killing 14 people, most of them members of a single family, a provincial official said on Sunday.

Eight women were among the dead in the blast, which flattened the two-storey house in the village of Qadam, in Al-Mahwit province west of the capital, the official told the state-run Saba news agency,according to Voice of Russia.

Four people were also seriously wounded in the explosion which is believed to have been triggered by a short circuit, provincial councillor Alezzi al-Shajjaf said, without specifying when the accident happened.

He said that fuel had been stored next to the generator, which had been installed in a small room.Private generators are widely used in Yemen, where cuts to the mains power supply are frequent.

R.S

Egypt prosecutors begin questioning Morsi and "Muslim Brotherhood" members

Investigators began questioning Egypt's ousted "president" Mohamed Morsi and members of his "Muslim Brotherhood" on Sunday over their involvement in a 2011 prison break, judicial sources said.

The inquiry follows allegations that Morsi and senior "Brotherhood" members escaped from Wadi Natrun prison, according to  Voice of Russia, RIA, Reuters, AFP.

State Security prosecution service investigators interviewed Morsi at an undisclosed location, the judicial sources said.

It came hours after the public prosecutor received complaints against Morsi and other "Brotherhood" leaders, accusing them of spying, inciting violence and damaging the economy.

Morsi, who was overthrown by Egypt's powerful army on July 3, is being held in a "safe place", interim leaders have said.

Egypt's prosecutor's office announces criminal probe against Morsi

Egypt's prosecutor's office has announced the start of a criminal investigation against deposed Mohamed Morsi on charges of espionage, incitement to violence and damage to the state's economy.

After his arrest on July 3 Morsi has been held at a secret location guarded by units of the national army. However, to date, no charges against him had been made.

In a statement by representatives of the prosecutor's office, besides Morsi, proceedings will be launched against eight members of the "Muslim Brotherhood", including the organization's "Supreme Guide", Mohammad Badie.

The military says it deposed Morsi in a justified response to popular demand after millions of people demonstrated against him.

Complaints such as those against Morsi are a first step in the criminal process, allowing prosecutors to begin an investigation that can lead to charges. Announcing the step was unusual: typically prosecutors wait until charges are filed.

The prosecutors did not say who had made the complaints. Egyptian law allows them to investigate complaints from police or any member of the public.

Badie and several other "Brotherhood" officials already face charges for inciting violence that were announced earlier this week, but few of them have been arrested.

M.D

New Egyptian Cabinet will be Wednesday

CAIRO,(ST)_ Egypt's designated  prime minister is putting the finishing touches on a cabinet that he says will be finalized by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hazem El-Beblawi said on Saturday that the new administration will be made up of 30 members, as well as two deputies for economic and security affairs, according to MENA state news agency.

Some current ministers will maintain their posts in the new cabinet, he said

The interim PM has said he would not rule out roles for the Muslim Brotherhood, from which the toppled president Mohamed Morsi hails, in the new cabinet. But the Islamist group has spurned offers to take part in the transitional government.

El-Beblawi, a liberal economist and former finance minister, went on to affirm that the information ministry – responsible for regulating the country’s local media – will not be abolished.

There have been recurring demands to eliminate the ministry so as to ease media restrictions and allow greater freedom of speech.

MENA said on Saturday that foreign minister Mohamed Kamel Amr asked to not be included in the new cabinet, on the grounds that current developments in Egypt require a new foreign leadership. Ambassador to the United States Nabil Fahmy might be offered the post, official sources told Reuters on Saturday.

El-Beblawi also quashed rumours of an imminent abolition of subsidies for the country's basic commodities, a move which, if enforced, would severely strain low-income citizens.

Gulf Arab states, including Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Kuwait, have pledged $12 billion in aid to help Egypt sustain its faltering economy.

However, . Prosecutors in Cairo  are weighing charges against deposed president Mohammed Morsi for damaging the nation's economy.

It's a charge many Egyptians would support. Many Egyptians celebrated their country's revolution of two and a half years ago, but Egypt is still in turmoil.

For some ordinary Egyptians, life has become more difficult. Forty percent of the country is now living in poverty.

In another development, five gunmen were killed in North Sinai on Friday as part of an ongoing military operation to combat militants in the region.

A security operation resulted in the deaths of five gunmen, security sources told the state-owned MENA news agency, adding that 37 suspected militants have been killed in North Sinai since 30 June protests.

Forty-two others have been injured, the source said.

On Saturday, Apache helicopters targeted a vehicle reportedly containing gunmen after an earlier attack on Arish airport.

Security sources said the aircraft, which fired on the vehicle, is likely to have killed three people and injured others.

The army is continuing combing operations in the area.

Eyewitnesses said Apache helicopters were still flying over Arish on Saturday afternoon, reportedly to pursue gunmen and ensure no civilians approached the targeted vehicle.

 

T. Fateh